– 2 med eggplants
– 1 diced onion, 2-3 minced garlic cloves and 1 tsp of minced ginger
– diced fresh red chiles (optional)
– 1 tsp each of red chili powder, tumeric, ground/crushed cumin seeds
– 2 tsp garam masala
– equivalent of 2 med tomatoes (I used canned but you could use fresh)
– approx 1/2 cup plain yogurt
– fresh coriander leaves and lime wedges for garnish
Preheat oven to 450F. Cut eggplants in half, rub with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place eggplant in oven and bake until skin is browned and flesh is totally softened. Set aside.
Heat oil in a heavy skillet on medium high heat. Add onion and fry until beginning to soften, add garlic and all spices except for the garam masala. Lower heat to medium and fry stirring frequently, until onion is well softened and translucent but not browned (5-10 mins).
Meanwhile, scrape pulp from the eggplant and into a bowl. Mash it up a bit with a fork and set aside (I include some skin in here because I like it but it is optional).
Add chiles and either crushed or chopped tomatoes, fry and stir for a couple mins. Add yogurt and stir thoroughly.
Add eggplant and garam masala. Allow to cook for a while. You can cook it covered or uncovered if you’d like a thicker texture.
When serving stir in and/or garnish with fresh cilantro to your liking. I served the eggplant with a chickpea pulao, raita and mango pickle.