Way back in August, with the help of my friend Megan, I made some pickles. The process was both easier and harder than I had expected. Harder in that it required lots of equipment (aka multiple enormous pots) and easier in that it really wasn’t very hard. I also learned that the verb canning refers to the process of preserving things in jars. Go figure!
A very quick run down of the process:
– clean and cut up all things you’d like to put inside jars
– at the same time, sterilize jars and lids by boiling them
– make a brine (specific ratio of salt, vinegar, water and depending on recipe)
– put all the living stuff into the jar (I used cucumbers, dill, garlic, chilies and ‘pickling spice’ which is a mixture of peppercorns and coriander, mustard and fennel seeds) and cover with brine
– lightly put lids on jars and ‘process’ which means let them sit in some boiling water
– call it canning!